What is a neuromodulator?
Botulinum toxin type A is an injectable neuromodulator, better known under brand names such as Botox Cosmetic®, Dysport®, Xeomin®, Jeuveau®, and Daxxify®. Neuromodulator treatments are the most popular single cosmetic procedure in the U.S. and are mainly used to smooth dynamic wrinkles, or those wrinkles that form as a result of facial movements like frowning, squinting, smiling, and other expressions we tend to make day after day. Treatment works by blocking nerve impulses to the muscles, causing them to relax. As a result, your expressions soften and the dynamic wrinkles are greatly reduced.
The most commonly treated areas are those where muscle activity influences facial features, such as the following:
- Glabellar lines (a.k.a. “elevens” or frown lines)
- Wrinkles around the eyes, such as crow’s feet
- Forehead creases
- Corners of the mouth
- A “cobblestoned” appearance to the chin
- Additional treatment areas include the nose, a gummy smile, masseter muscles, jawline and armpits for axillary hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating)
For most areas, treatments generally need to be repeated every 3-4 months with dose adjustments only being done two weeks following original dosing.
– Botox & Dysport: 12.00/ unit
(20 unit minimum. No charge for injector dose adjustments at two weeks)